Sanity is a gameplay element in Arknights.
- The mental capacity to remain self aware, draw up plans, and execute them.
- "What is it that distinguishes us from this land? Our breath, or feeling? Or life and death?"
In Arknights, Sanity is the "stamina" or "energy" mechanic which allows the player to run operations. Every operation, aside of training operations, interludes, Contingency Contract operations (both the Permanent Site and Rotating Sites), and certain Main Theme operations (e.g. 1-11, 6-17) consume the player's Sanity; if the player has insufficient Sanity, they cannot run it. The more difficult an operation is, the more Sanity needed to run them, ranging from 6 to 36 , so it is advised to plan operations one want to run in a single day carefully.
Quitting an operation mid-way will return 100% of the Sanity spent if the player runs it for the first time, or 95% (rounded down) otherwise; the operation's Challenge Mode and Inferno Mode operations as well as certain operations only returns half (again, rounded down) of the Sanity spent instead. For Annihilation operations, the Sanity returned upon quitting or losing all Life Points vary based on the number of enemies defeated.
When the Control Center of the RIIC is upgraded to Level 4, the player can use Fast Charge which spends Sanity to generate 2 Drone for each Sanity, though using this is ill-advised unless the player urgently need to fill the gap.
Players start with 82 maximum Sanity and will have it increased as they progress through levels. The maximum Sanity players can achieve is 135 as of the release of Episode 06 in the CN server and the Code of Brawl update on the Global server.
Sanity regenerates itself at the rate of 1 Sanity every 6 minutes, or 10 Sanity per hour. Sanity can also be restored by the following items:
- Originite Prime (equal to the maximum Sanity)
- Emergency Sanity Sampler (10 )
- Emergency Sanity Potion and Salted Egg Yolk Flavor Chocolate (60 )
- Top Emergency Sanity Potion (100 )
- Burger Set For Two (200 )
Reaching a new level also fully restores the player's Sanity.
Level and Sanity cap
- Before Episode 06 was released on the CN server, players could only use Originite Prime to restore their Sanity for a maximum of 10 times in a day, and the maximum Sanity limit was 120. The Global server followed suit by removing this limitation when the Code of Brawl event went live.
- According to Arknights Global's first anniversary livestream, as of the end of Contingency Contract Pyrite, players had spent a grand total of over 20 billion Sanity (20767598142 to be precise).